United Methodist Women
UMC-Hillsville United Methodist Women in 2012
United Methodist Women of FUMC Hillsville invites all women of our church to learn how they can promote love for each other, for those in need, and for children, youth and women of all ages.
At a local level we are organized as a Unit with two circles: “Sunshiners” circle meet on the second Tuesday of each month at 2:00 pm. “Lamplighters” meet on the third Monday at 7:00 pm for the months of April – September and meet with “Sunshiners” for the colder months of October – February. Exception: Combined Unit meetings are held during the months of March, June, September & December.
UMW of First United Methodist Church, Hillsville has several projects and programs that we do on an annual or ongoing basis, as follows:
· Each year in February, we send Valentine Goodie Boxes to our college students or military who are within 4 years of high school. The boxes include items such as baked goods, packaged snacks, school supplies (pens, pads, highlighters), and personal items such as chapstick.
· In March, we have our Prayer and Self-Denial Service and Agape Meal.
· For our June and September combined circle meetings, we have a covered dish meal and program.
· In May, we choose a Mother of the Year, recognize her on Mother’s Day and recognize all mothers with a Mother’s Day Bulletin.
· Starting in 2012, we will choose a Father of the Year, recognize him on Father’s Day and recognize all fathers with a Father’s Day Bulletin.
· In November, we lead worship services on UMW Sunday, featuring a special guest speaker.
· Each November we collect for the World Thank Offering.
· On the first Tuesday in December, we combine with FUMC Happy Seniors to have the annual Happy Seniors Christmas Luncheon. Senior adults in the community are invited, and the meal, entertainment and goodie bags are free. In recent years, we have had over 90 participants.
· We coordinate and maintain FUMC’s Altar Flower List of Volunteers.
· One of our ongoing projects is selling a cookbook that was compiled from church members’ recipes. Proceeds from this and other projects, plus our pledges to mission, enable us to donate to various mission causes. In recent years we have given to a missionary in Sudan, the local Hospice, the Big Stone Gap Renewal Project, Free Clinic of the Twin Counties, Pulaski County Tornado Relief, Camp Dickenson scholarship, Pleasant View UMC Helping Hand Ministry for a tornado victim, and the annual Wytheville District UMW Hands-On Mission Project.
· Each year we have a special “Hands-On” Project. In 2011 we made prayer shawls at our September Unit meeting for shut-ins/nursing home residents.
· We added two new projects in 2011: (1) “Adopt a Meal” campaign for the local “Open Table” ministry and (2) an “Angel Tree” ministry to provide Christmas gifts for local needy children.
***UMW Cookbooks for Sale -See Shirley Uber***
Valentine "Goodie Boxes" Project
Each year we send Valentine "goodie boxes" to our college students or military who are within 4 years of high school. The boxes include items such as baked goods, packaged snacks, school supplies (pens, pads, highlighters), and personal items such as chapstick. In 2012 we are happy to say that we prepared 23 boxes!
Christmas Luncheon for Senior Adults
On the first Tuesday in December, the United Methodist Woman and FUMC Happy Seniors combine to have a Christmas Luncheon. Senior Adults in the Community are invited, and the meal and entertainment are free. December 2009 was our eighth year and we had over 90 participants.
This was the first logo that we won as a church:
Visit Wytheville District UMW: http://www.wythevilledistrictumc.org/
Visit Website of United Methodist Women, Holston Conference: http://holstonconferenceumw.com/
The Purpose of United Methodist Women
The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.